“Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD; and the fruit of the womb is his reward. As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth. Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them: they shall not be ashamed, but they shall speak with the enemies in the gate” (Psa. 127:3-5).
What an awesome blessing, as well as responsibility, rearing children is! If only more fathers and mothers had a greater appreciation of this gift and took more seriously their God-given roles as parents (cf. Deut. 6:1ff; Pro. 22:6; 31:1ff; Eph. 5:22ff; 6:4).
“Father’s Day” is a day set aside each year to honor our fathers for a job well-done. In addition, it is a day to remind fathers of the influential impact they have on their children as well as society. It is true, “as the home goes, so goes the nation (society).” A strong nation is comprised of strong godly homes; homes led by strong and faithful fathers who…
1. …love the Lord (Mark 12:30; Mat. 6:33).
2. …love their wife (Eph. 5:25-26).
3. …love God’s Word and shares it with family (2 Tim. 2:15; Eph. 6:4; Acts 10:33).
4. …are faithful to the Lord and His church (1 Cor. 15:58; Rev. 2:10).
5. …communicate well (Jam. 1:19).
6. …provide for their family (1 Tim. 5:8).
7. …pray fervently and without ceasing (Jam. 5:16; 1 The. 5:17).
8. …non-abusively discipline their children when necessary (Pro. 13:24; 22:15).
May all men strive toward these teachings of scripture, and thus build strong homes and a strong nation!
Terry R. Townsend
Curry church of Christ