How many of us have asked this question? The answer to that question is incalculable! Depending on when we have been asked this question will depend on how we answer the question. When I was younger, I would probably say, “Homework is important, but can we reduce the amount?” The older I have gotten, I would probably answer by saying, “The most important thing you can do is your homework if you want to make good grades.” We know the purpose of homework is to simply allow students to practice the lessons that have been assigned and improve skills. With any educational pursuit, studying is a must!
As Christians, we must remember what Scripture teaches us about studying God’s Word:
• Study for God’s approval (2 Timothy 2:15)
• We grow in knowledge (2 Peter 3:18)
• Become teachers (Hebrews 5:12-14)
• Instructed in righteousness (2 Timothy 3:16-17)
• Add faith, virtue, knowledge (2 Peter 1:5)
• Not barren, nor unfruitful (2 Peter 1:8)
• Abound in the work of the Lord (1 Corinthians 15:58)
• Worship in spirit and truth (John 4:23-24)
May we never stop studying God’s Word. To be sure of salvation, we must be a pupil of expectation.
South Green Street church of Christ